Navigating Personal Injury Lawsuits in New York
Personal injury is a collective term that covers a wide variety of wrongs and damages done to a person, and/or his or her property, rights, or reputation. If you have suffered loss, accident, injury, or other misfortune due to other people’s negligence, malpractice, intentional error, or someone else’s act or failure to act, you might be entitled to compensation and correction. Of course, no amount of money can truly compensate for your injuries and suffering, but a fair settlement can cover medical expenses, lost wages, or damage from emotional distress.
Typical personal injury cases that Personal Injury Lawyers sue for damages are:
- Medical Malpractice
- Construction Accidents
- Crane Accidents
- Birth Injury
- Defective Products
- Defective Drugs
- Defective Medical Devices
- Automobile, Bus and Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Brain Damage
- Bicycle Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Lead Poisoning
- Train Accidents
- Toxic Exposure
- Serious Burn Accidents
- Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents
- Factory Explosions
- On the Job Injury
How do you sue for Personal Injury in New York?
If you have suffered from a personal injury, there are two things that you are strongly advised to do before you contemplate settling – know your rights and don’t settle before you get legal counsel from a personal injury attorney. Personal injury attorneys will not only protect your rights and ensure that you are properly compensated, but they will also protect you from victimization from insurance companies, big business, and even the legal system. Work accidents are a typical example of what personal injury attorneys are able to help you with. You could be even entitled to receive damages for loss of enjoyment if your personal injury keeps you from enjoying your hobbies, pursuits, and daily activities. Dog bites, slip and fall, dental malpractice, and automobile accidents are also cases for which you will need the services of an experienced, professional, and trustworthy and top personal injury lawyer.
Statute Of Limitations NY Personal Injury
Three years from the date you were injured, or the date you were diagnosed with the injury, is the statute of limitations for personal injury in New York. But for car accidents, the statute of limitations in New York begins on the day the collision occurred.
- Slip and fall injuries: Three years is the statute of limitations for slip and fall injuries in New York.
- Workers’ compensation: You must file the claim within two years of the date of the injury or from the date of your last injury, depending on which date is later.
- Wrongful death: Parties claiming wrongful death must file within two years of the person’s death, with no exceptions.
- Medical malpractice: In New York, you have two and a half years from the date the medical negligence occurred, the date your treatment ended, or the date your negligent injury to file a claim.
Seek a qualified attorney to evaluate your case immediately after an accident or diagnosis of an injury. They can inform you of the statute of limitations or the time to file a lawsuit. There are many nuances to the law. If you are filing a notice of claim that involves NY City authorities, then the statute of limitation is only 90 days. Because there are so many aspects of claiming compensation for personal injury and having proper legal counsel, Gurfein Douglas is here to help.
Value Of A Personal Injury Claim NYC
Most of you are probably wondering what your cases are really worth and what is appropriate compensation for your injury. Personal Injury Attorneys will assist you with that too and give you a genuine assessment of your case. While we are on the topic of compensations, the statistics have shown that about 95% of pending personal injury lawsuits end in pre-trial settlements which can be substantial. To corroborate this claim, here are a few examples of New York personal injury settlements
New York Personal Injury Verdicts
- A Bronx grandmother awarded $110.6 million in a malpractice lawsuit in New York This case was a “Top Verdict in New York in 2019
- ”Ernest Lewis was awarded $6.78 million in a verdict in the case against the New York City Transit Authorities after he had been run over by the BX19 bus. The settlement included $2.5 million for past pain and suffering, $4 million over a ten-year period for future pain and suffering, and $283,202 for incurred medical expenses.
- An 11-year-old boy was awarded $950,000 after an accident left him with facial scarring which consequently made him turn to a life of crime, his peers mockingly calling him ‘scarface’ (in reference to the famous gangster).
At Gurfein Douglas LLP, you can rely on our scientific and engineering knowledge and years of experience to uncover the story that the untrained eye might miss. Developing the theory of the case and understanding the medical details and standard of care resulted in this case record and just outcome. In the video, learn more about why Richard Gurfein and Preston Douglas are the Lawyers With An Edge. If you feel, the negligence of a doctor or hospital has severely injured you.